Finito

19 March 2010

Funny to read my last post, which I wrote on Monday and just finished editing now and posted.

Yep, VBS 2010 is DONE. Well, all except the final program. We did manage to do a few other things this week, and some were rather fun! So here's a taste....


K, first thing, not so much fun. Honour finally had her allergist appointment to be tested. Turns out (as you can tell by her arm) that she does indeed have some allergies. Grass, dust, dust mites, blah, blah. While she was waiting for the test spots to show up, I let her pass the time with my cell phone camera. Behold my eldest daughters photographic skills....



The kids were yammering all week to get their bikes out, so we caved and headed over to the school parking lot on Wednesday night. I tell you, I'm in for elevated blood pressure this summer for sure. Verity figured out how to ride without training wheels, and we pulled out a tricycle for Afton. She's a wee bit small for it yet, but I think she'll get the hang of it by summer. Jairus is still happy with his training wheels, but as the oldest, I'm hoping we can get him off them this summer. This all means that any request for bike riding immediately causes my heart rate to increase, unless James is home and we take them over to the school together. I tried to let them go out on the sidewalk with just me, but I was a wreck trying to help Verity keep her balance, keep Afton off the road and out of Honour's way and keep a corner of an eye at least on Jairus. At least he's happy to cruise in a rather docile fashion up and down the flat section of sidewalk out the side of our house....Honour and Verity enjoy using the part that has an incline so that they can break some sound barriers. Sigh. I was awfully proud of Verity though. It took all of 10 minutes for her to get the hang of a two wheeler. I hope Honour doesn't figure out that Verity is a year ahead of her schedule.






And here's my girl....




Today was an exciting day for my kiddies. Remember the God Rocks concert a few weeks ago? The one we couldn't stay and meet the band because Verity was sick? Well....I had seen on their schedule that they were doing an event at the Burlington Christian Bookstore this afternoon. They were showing the God Rocks Live in Miami movie, and then two of the band members, "Gem" and "Chip" were going to make an appearance to meet and sign autographs. It sounded like a great March Break activity and I knew Honour especially would be up for it.
I broke one of my cardinal "event" rules and actually told the kids what we were planning to do as we were leaving the church to go home and grab lunch before leaving again. This nearly came back to bite me.
We arrived at the bookstore just as it was beginning only to hear that the advertising had not been accurate and tickets were actually required to get in. When I came up to the front counter, another mom had just been told the same thing and was really annoyed as she had driven from Brantford (or maybe Brampton?). The God Rocks website had definitely said it was Free Admission, but the women at the counter insisted that all their advertising had indicated that tickets were 3$. In any case, the room was full and they would not let anyone in. I thought my heart was going to break as Honour took this in and her face just crumbled....

Well, they had been bugging me this week to go to the beach. Yes, the beach. In March. Uhuh, just shut up. So, I pulled that card out and little faces brightened at the promise of going over to our fav beach spot there in Burlington. I was still rather annoyed about the whole thing.
Even more annoying was that I had invited my friend Jenn and her two girls who are good friends of my four. She hadn't arrived so I waited out front to break the bad news. She came along shortly, having brought another friend with her two kids, plus as we were waiting, a truck pulled up and out popped a little guy who to my great surprise started excitedly calling Jairus' name. It was a friend from school. His mom and two brothers plus a friend of hers with 3 kids were about to head in and I cut them off at the pass. I didn't want their poor kiddies to have to be even more disappointed after actually getting into the store. Annoyance was rampant all around.
After some discussion however, we all decided to head into the bookstore and do some looking around anyway. The kids headed right for the play corner, with a Veggie Tales movie playing on the little TV. I went over to the audio/video section to see how much the Live in Miami movie cost, thinking about picking it up and perhaps heading home after beaching to have our own little God Rocks event. Then Jenn got a great idea; she talked the store manager into opening up a copy of the God Rocks movie and playing it in the play corner. There was a pretty good sized crew of kiddies there at this point. By now, it was quarter/twenty after 2pm (when the event started) and the God Rocks members were going to be arriving at 3pm for the meet and greet. Perhaps this would turn out after all....


Yeehaw!!

And then we went to the beach. Yes, the beach. Shut up I tell ya.



0 comments: