Rather Exciting

17 April 2011

Of all the things I've thought of to blog about over the last few months, finally, I sit down to say a few words about this topic. I think it's because this is, as my title describes, rather exciting.

For a number of years now, I have dreamed about living "in the country". When I was a kid, I was fairly fascinated by that cheesy low budget set of films called "Wilderness family". Now, I'm not talking about country living like that. No, my friend, I need some semblance of society within a reasonable drive. But to have something more than a postage sized lot with houses farther than a stones-toss away (notice I didn't say throw....I have a pretty good arm, lol) is what I hope for. And I hope for it not just in the distant future, like when I'm retired. No, what I really want is to do it when my children are still young enough to enjoy the wide open space to run and explore and build and create. Young enough that we won't get sulky attitudes for moving out to "the middle of no-where".

About 6-8 years ago, we first spotted a lovely bit of land on the drive out to my parents place. Up on Tapleytown road, there was an old abandoned, ready to fall down farmhouse. But the land with it's mature trees and such, really appealed to me. To make a long story short, we kept tabs on this land: made a couple trips down to city hall to pull public records of it, talked to the real estate agent when it went up for sale, and even wrote the owners a letter last year. A final trip to the land development office a few months ago settled the matter: we couldn't afford the whole property (20 acres) and because of it's Greenbelt status, it couldn't be severed. Time to move on.
MLS searches for property in our area always produced slim pickings. Still, I'd do a search every few weeks.
Then, about a week and a half ago, I found this:

MLS® H3055721

It's about 18 minutes drive south of us. Just under 1 acre. There's a well already drilled and registered, and utilities are ready to hook up at the edge of the property. They want $84, 900, which is the cheapest land I've ever seen around here. There are reasons for that, and I'm not going to go into why, but it's something we've investigated and decided is not going to dissuade us.

We don't want to be hasty or jump into something unprepared however (although there's always that pressure with real estate, that someone else could be considering it right now and make an offer before us. It's been on the market at least since last summer, perhaps longer, so I'm not too worried at the moment) so we've been seeking out advice and opinions from professionals and people we trust. I had gone out and taken panoramic shots of the land, and then showed it to my family. My inlaws came down for a visit early last week and we went out and saw it in person. We sent the pics to my BIL who is a house builder (and who'll be building our house if this goes through). I talked to a couple at church who live close to the property to get some insight about living there. We of course corresponded with both our current real estate agent, and the agent who helped us buy and sell the house before the one we live in now, as this property technically falls into her county.

I've been pretty impressed and encouraged by the responses from nearly all. So far, there appears to be nothing terribly wrong with this venture and no sense that anyone thinks we're unreasonable or nuts to think we could buy land and build our own house.

So later this past week, we contacted a broker and began the process to apply for the financing. I think once we have an idea if the financing will be adequate, we can think about putting in an offer on the land.

Then there's our own house to consider. Hooooo boy. Having just watched a good friend go through the listing of her house (still in the process actually) and have to keep a spotless household with four kids running around (and she's not even homeschooling any of them) while day in and day out, people traipse through and make judgemental comments.....I am NOT looking forward to this, nor all the work I suspect is involved in getting our house market ready.

Not that we haven't been preparing for this and doing a little bit along the way. We laid down new carpet in our bedroom a couple months ago and in our family room last spring. When we moved in, we replaced everything in the kitchen except the sink, painted nearly everywhere, pulled up 30 year old carpet in the combo dining room/living room and laid hardwood and 3 years ago when I was expecting Afton, we redid the upstairs bathroom completely. Still, there remains some large items that might need to be done before market time. The driveway is crumbling away. Our patio sliding doors are currently half in and half out....long story. The kitchen flooring was also not redone with the kitchen job and the linoleum is pretty sad looking....
Then there's all the repainting and cleaning and decluttering....wow...big job. Maybe the girls will start their summer break a little early this year....

0 comments: